Monday, July 03, 2006

A Dram A Day--Part II

In anticipation of Friday's spectacular Scotch tasting event at Keegan's Irish Pub in Minneapolis (7pm), I thought I'd whet your appetite with a daily preview of one of the fine selections of whisky that we'll be enjoying.

Today, we continue with one of my favorites, Oban:

Region: Highlands
District: Western Highlands

Color - Full gold to amber
Nose - A whiff of the sea, but also a touch of fresh peat, and some maltiness.
Body - Firm, smooth and slightly viscous.
Palate - Deceptively delicate at first. Perfumy. Faint hint of fruity seaweed. Then lightly waxy, becoming smoky. Dry
Finish - Aromatic, smooth, appetizing.
Score - 79


Mr. Jackson's scoring of Oban is a little surprising, as I find it deserving a place on the top shelf. We'll have to see how it stacks up on Friday.

UPDATE: Donald from Washington e-mails:

Was fortunate enough to stop in Oban on a British Isles cruise - toured the distillery and got to sample some nice malts. Also got to buy some very limited whisky that was not exported to the USA.

If you ever get the chance....go there. The Oban Inn was a great pub where I got to drink great whisky (surprisingly cheap), meet interesting folks, and stay dry on a rainy afternoon.

Of course, I could probably say some of the about Keegan's from the descriptions.......just have to somehow make it to the TC on a Thursday night. Maybe NW can help me by cancelling one of my connections!!!

Anyhow, enjoy your Oban - I think it better than Craganmore, your other dram listed (Jackson really underrates it) -- and get these in on your tasting: Ardbeg, Talisker, Caol Ila, Dalmore, Highland Park and the Maccallan.

No comments:

Post a Comment