Monday, December 13, 2004

Have You Ever Seen A Sqonk's Tears?

I stopped into the Sam's Buze Mart Club or whatever it's called yesterday in search of a large, cheap bottle of high quality bourbon, as I believe Lileks mentioned a few weeks back that one of his butlers had scored a liter of Makers Mark for him at a Sams for 20 dollars.

Sadly, they had no Makers, but I was tempted by a bottle of Shakers vodka for $26, since it normally goes for at least 30.

But I passed and headed to the regular old Hop Hut, knowing a nice selection of bourbons awaited me. Blanton's is okay, as I have a bottle at home, and the bottle with the little horse on the top is cool and all, but for $41 that sauce better knock me out and it didn't.

Woodford Reserve at $31 is awful. It has a decidedly Windsorian flavor to it and I haven't had Windsor since the last time the Elder had me over to his house (cheap bastard).

Makers and Knob Creek, both at around $20, are quality bourbons, but since this is "The Holidays" I wanted to get something a little more special. Whiskey River (~$30) is supposed to be good, but the picture of Willie Nelson on the box makes me question their marketing (after all he's really more of a smoker than a drinker).

So, after weighing my choices, I snatched a bottle of the exquisite Baker's ($30), a 107 proof, smooth, yet complex sipping bourbon that is especially welcome in the winter months and brought it to the counter.

As I approached the Buze Guy asked me if I had tried Baker's bigger brother, Booker's ($42) which clocks in at a shocking 127 proof with even more taste. Naturally, I had to get it.

Upon returning home and immediately pouring myself a healthy tumbler full (the Doubtlessette was visiting a friend) I have to say it is everything Buze Guy said it was. I cut it with an ice cube, thinking it would still be "hot" but it was surprisingly smooth for something with so much horsepower. And the taste lingers on your tongue long after the sip has leaves your mouth. Delicious.

One warning about this hooch though: one glass will put you over the moon. I consumed one and soon found myself listening to a Dimebag Darrell tribute on Sirius and really enjoying it (I had never heard a Pantera song before). So much so that I started operating the speed dialer on my cell phone so I could share my experience with the Nihilist in Golf Pants, Saint Paul and The Elder.

Since none of them were home, I left what must have sounded like really weird messages on each of their machines. Some consisted of Pantera music, some the Stoner Dude comments from the radio guys doing the tribute and for Saint Paul's message, I held the phone up to the TV, which was broadcasting a Ted Kennedy speech (I guess that was appropriate).

The next morning, after waking up surprisingly un-molested (two Totinos party pizzas is great preventative hang over medicine, fyi) I got an email from the Elder stating that his wife was rather freaked out by some weird messages left on his machine and he suspected either a. a stalker or b. that I had something to do with it.

Upon learning it was me, he wrote "What exactly were you drinking?"

Bookers, dear brother, Bookers.

No comments:

Post a Comment