Monday, December 27, 2004

Tough Love

Last night, I poured myself a generous glass of Superstition from Isle of Jura, slipped into a warm bath (I'm nursing a thigh muscle bruised as a result of a close encounter with a puck), and cracked open Hugh Hewitt's latest tome, Blog: Understanding the Information Reformation That's Changing Your World.

Like Hugh's other recent works, "Blog" is concise, to the point, and eminently readable. It's a wonder that he found the time to pen a thoughtful, well-documented look at the rise of the blogosphere what with his radio show, teaching, and blogging of his own. He's nothing if not prolific, and we're fortunate to have a visionary thinker like Hugh on our side. I would encourage anyone interested in the blogosphere and what it might look like in the future to order up a copy of "Blog" today.

I got about halfway through the book last night, but also did a little peeking ahead. In one of the chapters near the end, this paragraph caught my eye and brought back a few memories:

Design savvy bloggers mock my layout, and rightly so. At a party thrown by Lileks at Jasperwood, following a tour of his Hummels room and the drinking of much fine single-malt scotch, the assembled bloggers turned on me as if one and conducted a blogging intervention devoted to telling me how much Hugh Hewitt [the site] sucks.

Only because we care Hugh. Only because we care.

No comments:

Post a Comment