Thursday, December 09, 2004

More Franken Feed Back

Chris writes in with further comment on the inspired lunacy that is Al Franken:

I am writing in response to your comments yesterday on Al Franken. I know it specifically focused on his Grammy nod, but I felt inclined to add the following:

I occasionally listed to his show to see how far out he and his guests are in regards to everything conservative/Republican and they never disappoint me. That is, when I figure out what he is talking about. Having said that, you are correct in saying the show is bad. It is very bad.

Objectively speaking, he has a terrible radio presence. He CONSTANTLY clears his throat. This is incredibly annoying for the listener. He CONSTANTLY allows for many periods of dead air which I believe is a killer in the radio world. He has a co-host who CONSTANTLY has to step in and bring him back from some rant or to fill in dead air time. I have to assume that senior management of Air America put her in there for these very reasons. Oh, did I mention the constant Um's and Oh's and Ah's that come out of him.

I am a true believer in free market economies and I believe that his presence on radio is indeed limited. NOT because of the subject matter of what he is trying and failing to get across but, because he is simply terrible on the radio.


I hope Chris's faith in Adam Smith isn't shaken with today's news that Franken has been signed to a new 2-year contract, to continue his award winning throat clearing, dead air, and Ums and Ohs. I too am under the general impression that those who suck will eventually be run from the marketplace. And over to NPR. But I guess having a filthy rich guardian angel can do wonders for overcoming market forces. NPR has you, the taxpayer. Radio Air America has:

[Rob] Glaser, New York investment banker Eugene Keilin and other investors have recently committed $13 million in new financing.

How many radio show hosts have ever needed to secure millions in financing in advance before being allowed to continue with their jobs? I guess the same number who have been given $1 million contracts before they ever do their first show. You've got to hand it to Franken though, finding a way to sacrifice himself for a cause and still getting a million dollars. Some guys just have a knack for finding fools and their money.

Those wishing to hear the beautiful song of market forces working in perfect harmony (otherwise known as the grinding sound of rank exploitation) should tune into the Hugh Hewitt Show tonight. Once again, it will be substitute hosted by the feel good hit of the late Fall/early Winter, the Northern Alliance. With 6 or 7 of us in the studio, I can promise you there will be no throat clearing or even a microsecond of dead air. And very few Ums and Ohs. We're more prone to Ers and Ahs and the occasional Harrumph.

Tonight 5 - 8 PM Central. In the Twin Cities on AM1280 the Patriot, and around the nation, on these Love Network Affiliates. Don't you dare miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment