Saturday, December 11, 2004

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year

The official start of winter is just around the corner. With it comes the best beer season of the year. It's time for the brews of winter.

I love winter beers. Hearty, heavy, and heaping with flavor. True beer flavor that is. Save the nutmeg for the eggnog and the cherries for dessert. I don't go for the nutmeg flavored Christmas brews or cranberry lambic nonsense though. Try to keep it a real beer.

My favorite winter beer is a local favorite: Summit Winter Ale. And I'm not just saying that because Summit's founder will be a guest on the NARN later today. Although if a good word here means more samples, I'll shill shamelessly. My only complaint about Summit Winter, which I will undoubtedly address with Mark Stutrud; what happened to the distinctive red label?

Other top shelf choices for winter include: Big Sky Brewing Powder Hound Winter Ale, Full Sail Wassail Winter, Goose Island Christmas Ale, Red Hook Winterhook, and the always excellent (and different each year) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

Just a notch below are Schell's Blizzard Ale, Leinenkugel's Winter, and Shipyard Brewing Winter Ale.

Unfortunately, winter beers are often the red-headed step children of the brewing world. They don't get nearly the respect they deserve, and many brewers don't even bother to put out a winter seasonal. 'Tis a shame. All I want for Christmas is a couple of good winter beers.

More on seasonal drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment