Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Puppet Master

Evangelist Pat Robertson has been accused of having blind allegiance to unseen forces. Who knew all this time it was Hugh Hewitt Show producer Duane Patterson?

From left wing scandal mongers Media Matters, the story of how Duane's satirical blogging ended up being mouthed as gospel by a religious icon during to a national audience on the Hannity and Colmes program:

On the August 15 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes, Christian Coalition of America founder Pat Robertson blasted Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) for comments she never made. Purporting to quote Boxer regarding the nomination of John G. Roberts Jr. to the Supreme Court, Robertson falsely stated that Boxer had said, "I've got to wait on Ralph Neas of the People for the American Way to see what he says about it [Roberts's nomination]"; and that Boxer said, "I'm going to follow the lead of [Sen. Charles] Chuck Schumer [D-NY]. I trust him." Robertson said he was "absolutely appalled at what she had to say," noting, "She's supposed to be a senator from the biggest state in America."

Media Matters for America could find no record that Boxer actually said anything like what Robertson attributed to her. A search for her purported comments turned up the weblog Radio Blogger, which on August 8 posted a transcript of Boxer's appearance on the August 7 edition of CNN's Late Edition with Wolf Blitzer. Radio Blogger included a self-styled "translation" of what Boxer said in bold font that closely resembles the comments that Robertson falsely attributed to Boxer. Robertson appears to have mistaken this "translation" for Boxer's actual words.


I don't know what more demeaning to Robertson's reputation, the fact that he's espousing false information on national TV or that he's been caught reading Radio Blogger. For the latter, I recommend a tearful Jimmy Swaggart-like apology to the congregation:

"I do not plan in any way to whitewash my sin or call it a mistake. I have sinned against you and I beg your forgiveness. I have sinned against You, My Lord, and I would ask that Your precious blood would wash and cleanse every stain until it is in the seas of God's forgiveness, never to be remembered against me."

Failing that, this one may suffice (Pat Robertson note, it includes one strategic edit):

The Media is ruled by Satan (Duane Patterson). But yet I wonder if many Christians fully understand that."

No comments:

Post a Comment