Friday, November 18, 2005

I Get It, The Label Guy Is Like, Dumb And Stuff!

I have never met anyone who doesn't like Johnny Cash. In fact, I would actually find it refreshing to meet a person and hear them say "You know, just between us, I never really liked Johnny Cash. Average singer. All his songs sounded the same and that dark crap he got into at the end was just pathetic."

Now that person would be (mainly, the dark crap at the end WAS pathetic--JRC singing Nine Inch Nails? Please) wrong, but it would at least be nice to hear some divergence of opinion.

With the release of I Walk The Line, the critics are already lining up to laud praises on what looks to me to be a lousy movie.

I watched the Johnny Cash music special on CBS Tuesday and several scenes from the movie induced my eyeballs to roll. In one, the MIB is in the EVEELL Record Producer/Label Guy's office discussing his next record. The ERPLG is of course played by a fat, sweaty doofus in a bad suit and he is incredously asking "You mean to tell me you wanna make a record in a pen-ee-ten-tur-ee? Are you crazy? The public will never buy it!"

I just hate being worked like this by directors. I guess I'm supposed to think "Man, those record label guys were SOO STUPID and Johnny was SOO SMART. What a maverick he was!" The scene was so hackneyed, so cliched so simplistic--I really can't imagine two hours of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment