Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Scaring Up Some Fun

Last night's Halloween mission was accomplished. Don't run out of candy and help make the evening fun for the childrens. I think that part of the fun of Halloween for kids is being a bit scared. Not overly frightened, just a little spooked.

In order to facilitate that "fun fear", I do my part by decorating the house. Not the over-the-top, obnoxious, yard choked with crap kind of decorations mind you. My effort is fairly low key, but still noticeable. None of that feel good Casper the Friendly Ghost garbage either. My tastes run more towards spiders, skeletons, and skulls on stakes. Pipe in some "scary" music from the bushes and a strobe light or two and you can set a mood to send a chill or two down an urchin's spine.

Of course, I don't want to scare kids away from the house completely, I just want them to approach with some hesitation. They know it's not real, but there still is that subtle hint of foreboding. That, in my mind at least, is what makes Halloween fun.

Judging from the comments I heard last night; "Spooky," "Your house is scary," "Cool decorations," I believe the goal was achieved. My favorite feedback came from an inquisitive youngster who asked, "Do you live alone?" apparently believing that no one living in such a creepy looking cottage could possibly have a family.

"Just me and the bodies in the crawl space," I wanted to reply. Fortunately, common sense prevailed and the sense of innocent fun was maintained for yet another Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment