Monday, November 07, 2005

It's Really Real! It's Really Real!

We met my parents yesterday for lunch at the Country Kitchen. Normally, that doesn't rise to the level of postable material (unless you are telling everyone how there was nothing-nothing! to order on the entire menu) but I discovered a taste sensation so remarkable I have to let the world know.

I really did not expect any surprises from the Country Kitchen menu. They have reliable breakfast items like skillets, omlettes and the like, along with burgers, turkey wraps, chicken dinners--classic American Home Cookin' fare. So I was taken aback upon seeing the description of one of their special limited time burgers.

It said the sandwich was a hamburger with a Johnsonville brat on top of it smothered in grilled sauerkraut and topped with a creamy dijon mustard. I was confused. "A hamburger AND a brat? At the same time? Why that's just not done! There must be some kind of mistake!" I thought to myself.

I mean, if you go over to your buddy's house for a cookout, you might get a brat and a burger, but not together. Not on the same bun. Not to be co-mingled in each seemingly delicious bite. That's just crazy talk.

But upon seeing the picture of said delectable and verifying with the waitress "So they're together, right? On the same bun?" (understandably, I was still somewhat incredulous) I realized that meat worlds would soon be colliding, much to my gluttonous joy.

My first thought when it was put down before me was that the burger was going to be tricky to eat without getting half of it either on my shirt, or more importantly wasting some of the precious cargo on the floor. I decided a single diagonal cut was in order. Upon doing so, I saw that they had split the Johnsonville brat in half to make it adhere better to the hamburger. Smart that.

I went with ketchup and the dijon mustard as my additional flavorings and the first bite was...good. Not great, just good. There was something missing in the mix and that something was cheap, yellow mustard. Once I had procured that from the waitress and slathered the bun with a copious layer, it was on. NOW I had a sandwich.

Dear readers it's hard to even describe the pleasure this sandwich imparted. One second you were grooving on the simple joy of an everyday American hamburger. Then out of nowhere you would be hit with the taste of a brat like your dad used to make on the grill. Then you could taste both at the same time--some bites more hamburger heavy, some more brat intensive. And the sauerkraut added the ethnic flare that is missing so often in my diet (Mr. Burns to Homer when Homer was his assistant: "Donuts! I said no ethnic foods!").

But this is a special, limited time item. I would suggest heading to the nearest Country Kitchen immediately if not sooner. And now that you know this is not a menu typo you can confidently order your meal knowing that in a few minutes ecstasy awaits you...

No comments:

Post a Comment