Friday, November 11, 2005

You Call That A Drink?

I stumbled into Shanghai a couple of hours ago. After the nearly twenty hours it took to get to Singapore from Minneapolis earlier this week, the five hour hop from Singapore to Shanghai was nuthin'. But the flight itself was a bit disappointing. I had heard a lot of good things about Singapore Airlines and was looking forward to experiencing their vaunted service for myself. And when I checked in at the airport and discovered I was flying "Raffles Class" (a.k.a. bidness class) I had high expectations.

It wasn't as if the service wasn't good. The flight attendants were pleasant and attentive. Their intentions were good, but their follow through always wasn't. Prior to takeoff, they were taking drink orders to be served immediately after we become airborne. I ordered a Scotch neat AND a glass of water. Perhaps my instructions were not clear because what I got was a glass of Scotch with ice and water. It was hopelessly diluted before the first drop had passed my lips. When next she came around, I sent it back and specified that this time ALL I wanted was a glass of Scotch. No water. No ice. This time she got the message.

The food was tasty, but not especially noteworthy although the dessert was quite good. The seats were obviously not designed for men of my impressive stature (my stature being all of five foot nine and one half inches). After reclining the seats to the fullest extent possible, my feet dangled uncomfortably over the leg rest. This might seem like nitpicking, but we're talking "Raffles Class" here and I would expect better.

The personal entertainment systems also fell far short of the mark. Unlike the offerings available on Northwest, where you select the movies and start and stop them at your whim, the SAL system merely let you choose between a number of movies that started at a set time. The video quality was also poor.

Having experienced both services in the last week, I would have to give Northwest's international business class the edge over SAL's Raffles Class. At least on the flights that I was on. However, I will say that the SAL airport lounge in Singapore was absolute nirvana. Top notch, first class all the way.

I must retire to get some much needed shut eye, but before I sign off I want to report that the demise of the Communist government in China is inevitable. It may not happen any time soon, but believe me, it's only a matter of time. Why am I so certain of this? I saw a billboard on the way from the airport promoting the latest American franchise to establish roots in China.

Hooters has come to Shanghai baby. We will bury you. In chicken wings, cleavage, and short shorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment