Thursday, August 10, 2006

How To Raise A Secular Humanist Corporate Drone

Easy, send 'em to a public skrool.

One teacher has decided to start homeschooling his churlen and lists his reasons (via Vox):


Reason #1: We are not post-modernists. We believe there is a right and wrong, a good and evil, a truth and falsehood. The best public education can deliver is an unbiased presentation of the multifaceted views represented in our nation and the world. And that, of course, sounds great to the post-modernist. Like I said, I'm not one of those. Therefore, even the best case scenario is not acceptable while being largely unattainable. The crop of teachers with whom I entered the field are not proper post modernists either despite the fact that they parrot the language. Most of them were doctrinaire secular humanists who bristled at the thought of presenting the "other side." For their money, the public education system was patriarchical, imperialistic and reactionary. They wanted to take it even further to the left. Of course, not all teachers are as radical as the ones with whom I studied, but most certainly are to the left of me. Moreover, I can't expect "fair and balanced" where I don't believe it exists.

Reason #2: We gave an alternative method of public schooling a try and it failed to impress. All we seemed to get was more busy work and more extraneous rules. The last thing I want is to raise children institutionalized to the point that irrelavent rules are associated with adults and education while what truly intrests them lay only within their peer groups.

Reason #3: I am convinced that this is the road to academic excellence. My wife and I are both college educated and reasonably well read. Both of us have made our living at one time or another teaching reading and writing. Since our children will probably never have the advantage of inherited wealth, our education and teaching abilities will have to make up for it. Furthermore, we can instill in them a true love for learning rather than the mercenary attitude that parades as academic excellence in too many public school overachievers.

Reason #4: Closely related to reason #1, we are Christians, not secular humanists. Despite all the talk about separation of church and state, there is a religious view being taught in public schools. It is the religion of secularism. And while I'm still convinced that the US Constitution puts no restrictions on the teaching of religion in public schools, I know that I won't be able to convince enough others of this before the summer break ends. Nor will I likely convince them within the lifetime of my children. So, I will educate them myself and pass the goal of reclaiming public education on to them.

Reason #5: It really bugs some of my family and friends. Not that I'm using my kids to pull an elaborate prank, although I have been known to do so, I do quite enjoy the spectacle as an added bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment