Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Airing of Grievances

Since I hardly ever write about the things people do that irritate me, this post will be a refreshing look at the humorous human foibles that make every day of life on earth so interesting and enjoyable. Wait...scratch that. Reverse it. Since I almost always write about the things you people do that irritate me, this post will be yet another in a long list of grievances I have against other humans for constantly doing things that make every day of life on earth a bothersome chore.

Actually, today I'm feeling somewhere in the middle of those two views...but don't push me because tomorrow could become a bothersome chore very rapidly.

With that ominous warning, let's move on to today's admittedly rather innocuous grievance.

There is not now, nor has there ever been, a building or room dedicated to the practice and/or art of regurgitation called a "vomitorium". The word is actually an architectural term that is defined here as:
a passage situated below or behind a tier of seats in an amphitheatre, through which the crowds could "spew out" at the end of a show
Now I don't normally get too bent out of shape about things like this. Today, however, I just happened to be in an exceptionally irritable mood and, believe it or not, I heard "vomitorium" misused on two separate occasions (once by this chronic repeat offender who should have the book smarts to know better).

So, for the record, a vomitorium is not a place to go to vomit just as an auditorium is not a place to go to get audited and a sanatorium is not a place to send our Senators...well, bad example, but you get my point.

Now, on to The Feats of Strength...

No comments:

Post a Comment