Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Does Brett Like Peanut Butter?

Romney finally won a primary by pandering and promising to use the power of the Federal government to rescue companies who have been proved unable to compete in free markets? Meh.

Let's talk football with a double shot of Vox Day. First, he explains why Vikings losses that don't kill you only make you stronger:

People occasionally ask me how I can persevere so stoically in the face of constant scorn, derision, mockery and ridicule. They marvel at my ability to shrug off the most scathing attacks with little more than a sardonic smile, and they wonder how I remain so blithely unmoved by criticism, dislike and hate.

I find it hard to understand the question. I am a Vikings fan. There is nothing you can throw at me that could make me feel any worse than I have felt before. I sobbed in 1974. I raged with burning fury in 1975. I cried in 1976. I felt sick in 1987. By 1998, there was nothing left inside but a frozen hollow. In 2000 and 2003, I barely blinked. That which did not break me has made me stronger and harder than you can possibly imagine.


I can relate. The fire burning within me in '75 was stoked by the fact that I was watching the game with relatives in Wisconsin and all of my uncles (Packers fans) were cheering for the cheating Cowboys. The ironclad hatred of the Green and Gold was forged early on.

Vox also addresses the strange obsession that male Packer fans have with Favre:

So squealed Peter King:

"I just want to tell you one thing," Ruprecht, a 39-year-old optometrist from LaCrosse told me, his eyes crystal clear. "When Brett Favre retires, I will cry. In fact, the day he retires I will call in sick. I won't be able to work."

Now we had built up a little bit of trust and had been talking for a while. Here came the big guns. "This is going to sound weird," he said. "I dream about this guy. I dream that I'm going shopping with him."
I like football as much as anyone. I love football. On days when I can't watch football, I play Maddens. (Okay, I often play Maddens on days when I watch football too.) I probably throw the pigskin around outside every other day; Spacebunny may look like an SI model but she doesn't throw like a girl. There are even Packers owners in the family.

But mamas, this is why you don't let your babies grow up to be Packer Backers.


There's something a little creepy about the way that male Packer fans adore and apparently dream about Favre. Something a little bit too much like the way that Smithers dreams about Mr. Burns.

1 comment: