Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Thirty Days At The Rock

Joe Carter details his 30-Day Crash Course In Presidential Politics:

In the meantime, I'll share some of what I learned on the campaign trail. Although I can't share any secret inside-the-campaign information there are a few lessons I learned during my 30-day adventure. None are particularly profound and some are quite obvious. Much of it may even be particular to the fact that I worked with such a small team. Still, I thought it might be worthwhile to share some of them in order to confirm what you might already suspect about Presidential politics.

The lessons that he learned while working on the Huckabee campaign are actually quite insightful and in a few cases even a bit surprising. The most important one may be the need to keep things in perspective:

Primary Politics Isn't Worth Losing Friends Over -- People often ask me what I think about the "Huckabashing" carried on by my friend Hugh Hewitt. While I am concerned that his shift from candidate-favoring pundit to propagandist for Team Romney may hurt his reputation, it hasn't affected the affection I have for my "blogfather." Hugh's wrong--dead wrong--about Romney. But he's right about enough other stuff that I still respect his opinions. And aside from his poor taste in candidates, he's still the same great guy that I've admired for years.

The same holds true for my friendships with pundits and bloggers that differ with me about which candidate will make the best President. I've had some heated disagreements and have said things that have likely damaged my reputation with some people (i.e., all fans of Romney). But when all is said and done, I care more about people than punditry or partisanship.


No matter which candidate you're supporting, his entire piece is definitely worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment