Friday, January 11, 2008

I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush

You know I wasn't sure if I was going to wear orange today to "symbolize my sadness and disgust with the national shame that is Guantánamo Bay." In fact, I'm wearing a very un-orangish green and blue sweater (which, my wife informed as I headed out the door this morning, is at least eight years old. Yeah, and your point is...what?).

But, I just received an e-mail from the ACLU informing me that some of my favorite celebrities are planning to join in the wearing of the orange:

Here is what ACLU's celebrity supporters are saying about the Close Guantánamo campaign:

Academy Award-winning actress Susan Sarandon said, "I'll be wearing orange because I believe in human rights."

Alex Gibney, director of the new Guantánamo documentary "Taxi to the Dark Side" said, "I wear orange to remind myself of the reckless, ignorant and arrogant individuals who violated fundamental American values by setting up Guantánamo: a cynical monument to what a world without law would be like."

Actress Gloria Reuben from "ER" will "definitely wear" orange because "respecting human rights is the only way to preserve humanity."

Musician and television personality Henry Rollins said, "I'll be wearing orange because this prolonged torture is obscene, nakedly sadistic and patently un-American."


Is he talking about Gitmo or being forced to listen to his music?

Singer-songwriter Meshell Ndegeocello, who will wear orange onstage at her performance tonight at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, NY, said "I am wearing orange to help bring back the dignity our country has lost as a result of Guantánamo. We must join together in solidarity to demand the immediate closure of this shameful prison. It has tarnished America's image in the world and continues to be a symbol of torture and injustice."

That last one really tipped the scales. If Meshell Ndegeocello is going to wear orange, how can I not? Honey, where's that old Miami sweatshirt of mine? Don't tell me you gave it to Good Will...

No comments:

Post a Comment