Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Rest of the Story

Regarding the Star Tribune story about Keegan's and the right wingers assembled, it appears maybe I got lucky with a fair portrayal of my remarks.

Chief from Freedom Dogs posted on his reactions to the piece. Including feedback from the now legendary Angry Basement Man of the West Metro, Larry Colson. He was quoted in the article as saying:

Larry Colson, a regular, acknowledged that "it's easy to be angry sitting in your basement. That's part of the intent of [blogs]; it just flows out."

But, according to Larry, the conversation went something like this:

Not only did I not tell him I was a regular, my comment was taken quite a bit out of context, since he asked me why the media portrayed blogs as non-credible.

I don't remember my exact quote, but it was along the lines of that I thought there were two things, one was that they were scared, since there were a lot of very smart people doing a better and more in-depth job that the MSM. The other was that there were plenty of crazies on both the far left and far right that just ripped off rants that were filled with fodder for fisking, therefore easy to use as evidence of non-credibility. He asked my why this happened, and I said that the internet made it easy for anyone to provide their opinion to the world. I said the world has always been filled with people who are angry, but that now they have computers and "it's easy to be angry sitting in your basement" blogging.

A great example of cutting the quote to fit their need.


We know Larry to be an upstanding, responsible guy and believe he may have a legitimate grievance here. But, to avoid reinforcing stereotypes, we advise him to cool down a little bit and climb out of the basement before contacting "Reader Representative" Kate Parry.

No comments:

Post a Comment