Thursday, April 27, 2006

Tough Sell

Tonight, an earnest looking lad appeared on my doorstop with clipboard in hand. He was from the Sierra Club and wanted me to sign a petition to,

"Stop the Bush administration from destroying pristine wilderness by drilling for oil instead of taking common sense steps like making cars and SUVs more efficient."

My first inclination was laugh dismissively and ask the youngster if he really thought that tougher CAFE standards was the way to solve our energy problems and then release the hounds. Unfortunately, we have no hounds and "releasing" our two cats just wouldn't have the same effect. Besides we were in the midst of bathing the boy, which is a much more fun than chiding a well-meaning, but clueless youth.

Instead I politely shook my head and told him I was not interested. I glanced down at his petition sheet and noticed that he had all of two signatures. For a moment, I almost felt sorry for him. Almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment