Friday, March 21, 2003

Just Secede Already

Last night, a crowd in Montreal booed as the U.S. national anthem was played before a game between Les Canadians and the New York Islanders:

A significant portion of the crowd booed throughout ''The Star-Spangled Banner'' in an apparent display of their displeasure with the U.S.-led war against Iraq. More than 200,000 people turned out for an anti-war demonstration in Montreal last Saturday.

Some of the players were not amused:

Teammate Mark Parrish, a native of Bloomington, Minn., was upset hearing the boos.

''I came to the game pretty pumped up, but once I heard that it really got me going,'' Parrish said. ''So I guess I can thank them a little bit for getting me more pumped up.''


Is any surprised that this happened in a French Canadian city? Next time the Quebecois start whining about leaving Canada the rest of the country should call their bluff and show 'em the door.

By the way the Islanders won 6-3.

No comments:

Post a Comment