Friday, March 28, 2003

Two Thumbs Up (and Gouging Out Your Eyes)

There’s a new movie out called Spider. A Ralph Fiennes vehicle (which sounds more like a battery operated scooter than a movie). The review in today’s Star Tribune includes this summation:

A disturbing portrait of a troubled mind, it draws you into the bleak inner world of a madman and holds you in a spellbinding net of pity, terror and -- most frightening -- sympathy.

By the way, the reviewer Colin Covert, is RECOMMENDING you go see this. Calling it “maybe a masterpiece”. (I sure hope he writes another review, once he makes his mind up on this one. It’s like writing a restaurant review and saying “I think the chicken kiev might be tasty. And it was reasonably priced - maybe.")

Perhaps it’s just me, but generally speaking I think most people are adverse to being disturbed, encountering people with troubled minds, getting drawn into bleak worlds of madmen who hold you in their net evoking pity and terror. Oh yes, you feel sympathy too. However, sympathy that is FRIGHTENING!

Sure in our daily lives, we have no choice but to encounter the individuals described above. The IT department in the average American office is full of these types. But during my precious spare time, freely choosing this as an entertainment option, and better yet getting the benefit of paying for the experience? Are you effin’ nuts!?

I had the same reaction a few months back when a friend wanted to go see the Robin Williams movie “1 Hour Photo”. The advertisements included reviewer comments such as “profoundly disturbing” and “I was haunted for days afterwards”. Paying money for the privilege of being disturbed and haunted for days by Robin Williams? I had to decline. To this day I’m still haunted by the time I saw Robin Williams in Patch Adams on USA Network, and that didn’t cost me dime.

No comments:

Post a Comment