Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Where Is The "Hate" Coming From Again?

From today's Minneapolis Star Tribune:

A House DFL aide publicly apologized Tuesday for likening House Republicans to members of the Ku Klux Klan and branding them as liars in a published interview in a black community newspaper.

Lou Harvin, a longtime Twin Cities TV news reporter who is now public affairs director for the House DFL caucus, issued his apology shortly after Sen. Tom Neuville, R-Northfield, demanded one on the Senate floor.


The Spokesman-Recorder article quoted Harvin as saying:

"A lot of members of the Republican Party in this House, to me, are basically -- I don't want to scare people -- of the KKK mentality, but totally without the hoods. They have gotten smart; they wear neckties, they wear dresses, they don't use the 'N' word. But their thought process is exactly the same: 'Black people are lesser people than I am . . .'

"I'm not saying they're going to go out and hang people. . . . I'm saying that KKK mentality is alive and well, and it's so slick now. . . . What Republicans do is lie, they lie, they lie. And they lie so much I have to spend my entire day unraveling the lies before I'm even able to promote my party."


No comments:

Post a Comment