Wednesday, July 16, 2003

A New Low

Has the guy who sends out the CNN “Breaking News” emails lost his mind?

If so, let me try to bring him back to reality. Yes, feel free to interrupt my work day when terrorists slam planes into skyscrapers. I want updates when there’s news breaking about the results of a Presidential election. (Which is why I initially subscribed – for real time news on the county by county recounts in Florida). I want updates when the country goes to war.

These are important events, affecting us all. We NEED to know about them. (Plus these types of events make for good conversation starters when I see the new blonde from legal affairs hanging around the water cooler. And yes, I NEED help there, as so far she’s been immune to my consultations ). NEED - that is the standard that should be applied before any “Breaking News” emails are sent off.

This I do not need:

From: CNN Breaking News [BreakingNews@MAIL.CNN.COM]
To: TEXTBREAKINGNEWS@CNNIMAIL.COM
Sent: Wed 7/16/2003 5:13 PM
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Latin music icon Celia Cruz, the "Queen of Salsa," dies after battle with cancer, manager says. Watch CNN or log on to http://CNN.com (AOL Keyword: CNN) for the latest news.


Outside of Ms. Cruz’s immediate family, and other members of the Salsa Royal Court, nobody needs to be interrupted at work to know this. Plus ever since September 11, 2001, I demonstrably pucker every time one of these Breaking News things pops on my screen. And this visual isn’t doing me any favors around the water cooler either.

No comments:

Post a Comment