Friday, July 04, 2003

Press Attacks on the President? Bring ‘Em On!

Thursday’s print edition of the Wall Street Journal included excerpts of an interview with the elder George Bush, conducted by Texas Monthly magazine.

(I’d link to it directly, but Texas Monthly doesn’t offer access to this article online. However, in a stroke of traffic generating genius, full access is provided to an article on seafood restaurants in Galveston. If you’re interested, please Google away - and stay there, you sick freaks.)

This exchange with the former President proves that the old man is the block from which our current President was struck:

Texas Monthly: What’s interesting, I think, is that the press takes your silence as an indication of differences between you and the President. The fact that you’re not speaking out supposedly says something.

George Bush 1: When a friend of mine like Jimmy Baker or Brent Scowcroft says, “Well, we ought to do more about the Middle East,” the press says, “It looks to us like they’re reflecting what president number forty-one really feels but doesn’t want to say,” which is all bullsh*t, if you’ll excuse the expression.

TM: We can edit that out.

GB1: You can print it. At this stage in my life, I don’t care.


Later Bush commented on reports that he’s giving policy advice to his son, taking time to zing a former nemesis along the way:

GB1: We don’t need that. I don’t try to be this old, senior former president who’s giving a lot of free advice. I don’t have all the information to start with, and I don’t have the “need to know” for that highly selective intelligence. And so if I don’t know, why the heck should I pop off? I’ll leave that to Newt Gingrich.”

Happy Independence Day and may God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment