Thursday, August 07, 2003

Go Tell The Spartans...That She's Hot

Normally I like to take my lessons on ancient Greek history from the incomparable historian Victor Davis Hanson. VDH's knowledge of the subject is nearly unrivaled and his writing is incredibly detailed yet clear and compelling.

But after catching a few hours of of the PBS documentary 'The Spartans' last night I think I might have found myself a new favorite ancient Greek historian. Bettany Hughes is a ravishing Brit who hosted last evening's program and she certainly spices up any subject she chooses to address. Lest you think she's merely a talking head let it be known that Bettany has a Masters in Ancient and Modern History from a little school called Oxford.

Perhaps I'm a bit of an odd duck but for me there is something incredibly titillating about a statuesque, dark haired vixen with a British accent talking passionately about The Peloponnesian Wars. To say nothing of her analysis of the sexual mores of Spartan culture:

"Sparta was one of the few ancient civilizations that openly encouraged women to have sex with each other".

Whew. Talk dirty to me baby.

Until Victor Davis Hanson is willing to stand outside the Oracle at Delphi in a stunning red dress with legs from here to Thermopolis I'm officially becoming a Bettany man.

No comments:

Post a Comment