Friday, September 26, 2003

The bittersweet stench of success

The webhosting plan that we use for Fraters is pretty basic. In fact it's called the 'basic plan'. We get 50mb of storage and 5gb of transfer bandwidth for under ten bucks a month. A couple of months ago I noticed that we were dinged an extra $3.50 because we exceeded the bandwidth limits. Big fargin deal I thought.

Well I just received my latest statement. A combination of an all time record number of visitors in the last month and my posting many more pictures than usual, especially the State Fair photo gallery, caused us to blow our transfer bandwidth away to the tune of 22.6gb or over five times our limit. The price tag for this transgression?

$122.50

Needless to say our future use of pictures will be judiciously monitored. Those of you waiting for a photo series on JB Doubtless gorging himself at the Thanksgiving dinner table are going to be disappointed. I am probably going to switch to a plan that allows at least 10gb of transfer and may opt for one that allows 20gb. Saint Paul has also promised to turn his wit and charm, which shine through so brilliantly in his writing, down a notch to help us reduce traffic to a more sustainable level.

Now I know why Mr. Lileks was always griping about bandwidth charges.

1 comment: