Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Cocktail Hour

If only I had an hour. Since my time is short I'll be brief and to the point on matters regarding martinis previously mentioned by the Soused Simians and our own alkalide Atomizer.

1. Shaken versus stirred? I've had plenty of both and honestly I don't believe it makes that much of a difference. But for presentation sake and pleasure of mixing I'll go with skaken.

2. Gin versus vodka? This is a non-issue. If it ain't gin it ain't a martini. 'Nuf said.

3. Dry or sweet? I like a splash of vermouth. I want to know it's there but it has to be subtle. Very subtle.

4. NFO. Period. What? No fargin' olives. I was introduced to this terminology by a mature coworker who always ordered his gin and tonics NFL. No fargin' limes. Except he didn't say fargin'.

5. Where to get the best martinis? I don't have a personal preference but if you go to a place that has a martini menu with 67 different kind of foo foo varieties the odds that they nail the classic are not good. Places that seek to emulate the Fifties supper club feel can be a good bet. I had a killer martini the other night at the Monte Carlo in Minneapolis. Extra points for leaving the shaker at the table so you can top off your drink.

I'll close with this brief passage which summarizes the importance of this simple yet sublime libation:

"In its rite, the martini exercises a communal function. The host or paterfamilias who mixes the drinks acts as priest, and families or friends are united as devotees of the cult."

-Lowell Edmunds, The Silver Bullet

No comments:

Post a Comment