Thursday, February 03, 2005

Will Blog for Food

The recent talk of starving suburbanites puts in stark relief the scene witnessed outside the new Chipotle in Stillwater on Tuesday afternoon. Yes, another long line of people formed, waiting to get in and be fed. The wretched refuse, the tired, the poor, the huddled masses, yearning to eat free. It was a sad commentary on something. (Especially since I was in their number. Yes, I went back! And got huge, free burritos, and it was great!)

But, through the clouded lenses of faith-based class conflict and lazy research, maybe these suburbanites were only lined up for free food because they had to be. Maybe it was all they could afford.

I ain't no economics professor, but I think 'free' is going to be a difficult price point for any restaurant to sustain over the long haul. And if suburban starvation really is the next megatrend of the Bush economy, I have to expect our brand new, shiny burrito express to crater in the marketplace shortly. And that is the moment I will join in the plaintive wail of "your fast food franchises are burning!" and I too will march in lockstep coordination toward the bright red future of mass prosperity through higher taxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment