Tuesday, April 27, 2004

A Big E On My Chest

Last night I attended my senate district's Republican convention as a delegate (elected to that position at the March precinct caucus). I am also a vice chair of my precinct and, as usually happens when I show up for one of these affairs, I discovered that the leader of our senate district had "volunteered" me for other duties as well, in this case serving as Chair of Election Judges (yes, I can pile up meaningless titles too).

In the past I've kept my involvement with Fraters Libertas on the QT when it comes to my political activities. Many of the folks who show up and participate in the sausage making that is local politics aren't quite of the same demographic make up of the typical Fraters reader, and I doubt if most would know what a blog is. So they tend to think of me as a mild mannered, nice, quiet guy willing to help out rather than the Strib bashing, smart mouthed, caustic conservative that I really am.

Until last night at least. Just before the convention got kicked off, I sat next to another man from my precinct and engaged him in the meaningless sort of banter that takes place between two people who know each other, but don't really know each other. I had probably participated in similar banal discourse with this particular gentleman on two or three other occasions in the last two years. That was the extent of our previous relationship.

So it came as quite a surprise when, out of the blue, he asked me if I was a blogger.

Hmmm....I thought to myself, this is suspicious but what the hell, "Yeah, I'm a blogger."

"Hey Peeps!"

I was stunned and a bit ashen faced. Talk about connecting the dots. This guy had heard me on the Northern Alliance Radio Show and recognized my voice and first name (Chad). He linked that to Fraters Libertas, that nutty Elder character that he heard about on Hugh Hewitt's show, and finally to the silly Peeps story spun by Hugh. We're through the looking glass here people.

Thankfully he was a discrete chap and my secret remained safe with him. We proceeded to have a nice (and real) conversation about blogging and local radio. He even remembered the days when Mitch was producing the Don Vogel show. We also talked about Michael Medved's Patriot Forum here in town tomorrow, and the fact that the NARN will be representin' at the event (Can you believe that there's going to let me and Saint Paul tend bar? That's one for you, and one for me, one for you, and...).

From there the convention proceeded along without incident. I spoke with a couple of women who work in Norm Coleman's office and tried to convince them that it would be "good for St. Paul" if Norm appeared on our radio show. Developing. I was also elected as a delegate to the congressional district and state party conventions, where I'll see if I can maintain my front as a soft spoken, normal, face in the crowd. This secret identity stuff can get a little tricky at times.

Anybody see a phone booth around here?

No comments:

Post a Comment