Saturday, April 24, 2004

Skyrockets Not Yet In Flight

The Elder made a quip a few weeks back about the Starland vocal band's Afternoon Delight and was implying that it sucked. As well, Homer dissed said song a few months ago on the Simpsons.

I have to say that I picked up the Sounds Of the 70's the other day and Afternoon Delight is a great freaking pop song. The harmonies are fantastic--how often do you hear four part girl/guy harmony done to perfection? Abba perhaps, and I love Abba. I challenge anyone to listen to last "Afternoon delight" they sing at the end of the song--an amazingly complex and beautiful melody with distinct harmony--and not tell me it's a gem.

I also think the Sammy Johns song "Chevy Van" is an amazing piece of music. Yeah, I know, it's funny and all with the 70's references, but it tells a concise story of a time and captures the zeitgeist while delivering a hooky chorus. What more do you people want?

I plan to review all of the songs on the compilation in the next few days. Good lord, there are some seriously dreadful pieces in this collection, but also a few lost gems that deserve more recognition.

And I plan on belting out both Chevy Van and Skyrockets tonight at karoake with the Doubtlessette. She has yet to hear me sing, so it should be interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment