Thursday, April 08, 2004

They Might Just Take This Take This One To Their Graves...

I left work shortly after 1pm today for an extended lunch at a local watering hole in order to catch the last period of the University of Minnesota Duluth-Denver national semifinal hockey game. When I walked out the door, the Bulldogs were ahead 3-1 and twenty minutes away from Saturday's national championship contest. Five minutes later, when I bellied up to the bar (coffee only-unlike Atomizer I don't like mixing business with liquid pleasure) the score was knotted at three, only three and a half minutes into the period. The bartender informed me that the Pioneers had tallied twice in thirty four seconds. Damn.

Denver then proceeded to grab the lead with around ten minutes left. With their keeper pulled for an extra skater, it looked like the Dogs got the equalizer with only thirty two ticks left on the clock. But upon further review, the goal was waved off and so were UMD's hopes. An empty netter by the Pioneers with eight seconds to go capped the scoring. Denver 5 UMD 3.

So the Pioneers move on to face the winner of this evening's Maine-Boston College game for the national title. And as much it pains me to say it now, I will be rooting for the Pioneers. Gotta keep it in the family. The WCHA family that is.

Once Jonathan awakens from his snowboarding induced stupor (he's a master of the half pipe if you get my drift), and realizes that DU won today's contest (dude noon eastern time is like soooo early), I'm sure he'll be gloating over winning our wager.

I will of course honor my bet. Once the book is available to ship, a copy will be forthcoming. Although Jonathan may yet come to regard it a Pyrrhic victory given the reputation of the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment