Sunday, April 25, 2004

Nearer My God to Thee

Paul Westerberg co-directed his concert documentary "Come Feel Me Tremble" under the pseudonym Otto Zithromax. I knew that last name was some sort of drug, and knowing Westerberg's mental health reputation, I reasonably figured it was a high octane anti-depressant or anti-psychotic of some sort.

So it came as some surprise to me at the doctor's office on Friday when I emerged from the examination with a prescription for a large bottle of Zithromax. A single complaint of high fever, dizziness, and severe sore throat yielding a negative strept test and suddenly I'm a raging, hallucinating lunatic needing to be bombed out of my gourd to prevent me from being a threat to myself and others? Or maybe they were just afraid I was going to write a song like "Hillbilly Junk?"

Turns out, Zithromax is merely an antibiotic. And it's the first line silver bullet intended to break the fiery grasp non-strept something something tonsillitis has on my throat and head and which has put me flat on my back (for all the wrong reasons) for the better part of a week.

Zithromax and intensive bed rest, that's the state of Saint Paul these days. Under normal circumstances that would be paradise. But this week my rebelling useless organs have cost me hugely. A certain highly valued social interaction on Thursday, then on Saturday a chance to met MST3K's Mike Nelson who appeared on this week's Northern Alliance Radio. I did get off a call to the show, but in my fevered, delusional state I fear I came off more as a typical caller to Rabuse on the Right than the smooth, honey dripping radio pro you've come to know and love.

Also this week I missed National Review's Rich Lowry, who was kibitzing with his admirers not four blocks from my house at the Green Mill on Grand Ave. A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, to be sure. Although not quite as rare as Powerline's Scott Johnson picking up the tab (which allegedly happened there as well).

Not that this week is without personal accomplishments. For example, on Friday I finished reading last week's Sunday New York Times. That's a personal record of only five days to get through it, one unlikely to be broken, at least until I come down with malaria or dengue fever or something. I also finished Mark Steyn's "The Face of the Tiger." It's the column compilation of Mark Steyn for the year post 9/11/01. As I've written previously, it's terrific, provocative stuff. Funny as hell too. One thing I didn't realize until seeing all of his columns together is that Steyn makes a small penis joke or gay joke every time he brings up Osama bin Laden. By themselves, none are all that funny. But as a continuing gag, when you’re just waiting for him to lower the boom in the midst of some straight forward reporting or analysis, it's hilarious. Especially as he continues to escalate the brazenness of his accusations. As an amusing sideshow (to the amusing main event), it's a value added benefit to watch for as you read Steyn's future columns.

I also watched a lot of CSPAN, including a bravura performance by Christopher Hitchens today, in a live debate over the Iraq war with the LA Times' Robert Scheer and some other whiny, sneering liberals (really, is there any other kind?). The crowd was packed with these types too, and after Scheer would finish some laughably crude and cliche-ridden diatribe, the applause would cascade down to the stage. At one point, as Hitchens' patiently waited for it to end, he looked over his glasses and said "you people are awfully easy to please, aren't you?"

The non-Hitchens portions are long and unenlightening, but there are some small fireworks during the question and answer period. These include more Hitchens' attacks on the mewling crowd, including calling them "despicable, gloating fools" in regard to their obvious hopes for US failure in the Iraq rebuilding efforts.

For those interested, at this very hour (8 PM central), CSPAN-2 is replaying the Hitchens-Scheer debate. You'll be able to find the video on the CSPAN Web site as well. I'd recommend checking it out, even for those folks not currently taking Zithromax. Which reminds me, it's time for another dose.

No comments:

Post a Comment