Tuesday, April 06, 2004

A Texas Size Thirst

In response to my post on where the binge drinkers are, J.P. drops an e-mail to help explain the Texas connection:

Maybe I can throw some illumination on the San Antonio/Austin components of the binge drinking list.

San Antonio has a little tourist attraction called "The Riverwalk", which is chock full of hotels, retaurants, and bars, all willing to sell alcohol at the drop of a dime (or $5, whichever). I believe, though I haven't looked recently, that the Riverwalk and therefore San Antonio, is one of the most popular tourist destinations in America. Every time I've been there, the place has always been jammed packed, topping out at shoulder-to-shoulder congestion in the evenings. Lots of people = lots of drinking!

Austin-San Marcos is another interesting area. Austin is home to The University of Texas at Austin, which boasts 50,000+ college students. I don't have to tell you what that means! San Marcos is roughly a 20 minutes drive south from Austin, and boasts a well known Texas party school, Southwest Texas State University. Two universities in close proximity to each other = binge drinkers passed out on the dorm room floors!

And yes, I did attend UT Austin, and no, I wasn't one of the binge drinkers....


Since J.P. is a reader of this site, I have to question the veracity of his last claim. As a certain local talk radio show might say,"Uh, we don't know that".

Scott also e-mails to weigh in on San Antonio:

An unlimited supply of Mexican beer on the Riverwalk brought to you by those brunette Mexican honeys? Uh, hmmmm. What was your question?

I can't seem to recall. But I do know that San Antonio has just moved to the top of the list as the host city for our annual Fraters Libertas corporate planning conference. The Riverwalk sounds like an excellent location to conduct meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment