Friday, April 16, 2004

I Say, A Sporting Event? Sounds Delightful!

What's that line from when Seinfeld is watching a Mets game--"Ya gotta love sports." It's true. Even if you don't love sports, to be a man, you GOTTA love sports. Why? One reason is conversation.

I'm in San Francisco attending an interminably boring training and when I got a chance to get out last night I hit a cigar bar I happened along. The place was called the Occidental (471 Pine St. if you care) and was staffed by the owner only. I like that.

It was a small, cozy, out-of-the-way jernt and offered a vast array of Scotches and cigars. As I started in on a fine smoke and an Oban 10, a guy next to me muttered something about the Giants and how this might be their year, etc. I threw in my two cents, basically aping some garbage I heard on Sportscenter (I'm an AL guy afterall) but it lead to an interesting night of conversation with the guy and the bartender about all sorts of interesting topics like: whiskey, dames, San Diego, the place to get the best Ahi tuna in town--traditional man conversation.

Now imagine two strangers sitting down at the bar and discussing women's college basketball:

Learned Sensitive Male: "I just thought that was so great what the Gophers did this year."

Browbeaten Wuss: "Absolutely. My daughter and I have really enjoyed watching the games together."

What I'm saying is that if you aint a sports fan, you're limiting your enjoyment of life as a man. It's that simple.

Sports is the common language men share. The ice breaker. It aint the sociological implications of women's college basketball or the 9-11 commission and the "Wall"--I'll tell you that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment