Thursday, July 22, 2004

A Cold, Smoke-free Omaha

Michael e-mails with news from another nanny state:

You know, I moved away from Minneapolis for an education about five years ago, and I thought I left a lot of the over-regulating/control every aspect of my life aspect of that state behind me. But when I read your post the other day about Bloomington's (where my folks still live) new smoking ban, I couldn't believe that this is considered a new thing up there. I figured Minneapolis/St. Paul, Edina, Eden Prairie and the rest of those upscale suburban neighborhoods would have passed this sort of thing long ago. Especially since I remember in Edina you couldn't order a drink before you ordered dinner.

But I digress - the reason I'm sending this is because Lincoln, NE (about 45 minutes south of Omaha) passed a smoking ban there - in a college town nonetheless - in some sort of smoke-filled-back-room secret legislative session.

Omaha followed with public hearings a few weeks later but is yet to make any move. I can't believe that Nebraska--about as red a state as can be--is moving closer to acting along the lines of Nurse Bloomberg in NYC faster than those in Minnesota. I leave and the next thing that happens is Norm beats Walter Mondale (Walter Mondale?!) and Pawlenty gets in...maybe I should think about moving on back once I'm done with school. In the meantime, count me confused...Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment