Tuesday, July 27, 2004

King Kongs A Johnnie

Yesterday, when I read this piece in the Strib business section by Ronald M. Bosrock of St. John's University, which purports to show how the war has weakened the U.S. economy, I was prepared to roll up my sleeves, get out my hammer and anvil, and give it a thorough working over.

But upon further review, I realized that another member of the vaunted Northern Alliance of Blogs was much better qualified to get medieval on the article's hindquarters than I. And so I requested that King at SCSUScholars take a whack at it.

Today he delivers in a thorough and timely fashion:

Defending one's own property and people, to the contrary, is exactly the one thing for which government can and should legitimately tax and spend. Who chooses to invest in an economy that is threatened by terrorism or invasion?

The rest of his opinion is the usual laundry list of what we should and should not concentrate on, building ties. I ask, what kind of ties are built when you need to ask the permission of your neighbors to defend yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment