Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Maybe We Should Become A Cold Omaha After All

Michael e-mails on a novel approach to light rail that's being tried in Omaha:

I grew up in Mpls and am now in Omaha. I still have family in Minnesota and have followed the boon of mass transit up there somewhat closely. Omaha is a town of just under 1 million but a private enterprise is starting work on light rail here in Omaha in the next six months. The city is jumping on board here simply because the company promises that no public money will be involved. I highly doubt this but am at least pleased that the govt. is allowing private enterprise to handle this. I'll keep you posted.

I too have serious doubts if a one hundred percent privately financed light rail system can succeed. But if they do, more power to 'em. Beats the hell out of dropping eight hundred and fifty mil so we can have a train run from Target Center to Fort Snelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment