Tuesday, January 18, 2005

The Face Race

When it comes to technology, I try to stay up to speed with the latest and greatest. I'm not a hyper-geek "early adopter" or anything, but I usually am at least aware of what's out there, and am not afraid to make the leap into new technologies when it makes sense from a practical and financial perspective.

Which is why it was a bit embarrassing a couple of weeks ago when JB Doubtless pointed out an area where I was behind the cutting edge of technology. He was in town for the weekend for yet another Federal court appearance and was staying at our house.

While he was getting himself prettied up in the bathroom, he mentioned that his new razor was unbelievable. He boasted that he was using a Mach 3 Power Razor from Gillette, which was battery powered and vibrated when you shaved. And then he asked if I had tried it yet.

I explained that I had a Schick Xtreme 3 and a Gillette Mach 3 Turbo (yes, these are razors not snowboards), both triple-bladed razors, in my medicine cabinet and that I was quite happy with them.

"Mach 3 Turbo? What's that from, like 1912?", he guffawed, "Does it vibrate?"

I hung my head in shame. No, it doesn't vibrate. I felt like Hugh did that night at Jasperwood after he told us how much he was paying for his web site.

The next day, the chore of whacking away my whiskers with a Mach 3 Turbo was deeply unsatisfying. Sure it had three blades, a sure-grip handle, and an Aloe Vera lubricating strip, but it didn't vibrate! What was the point of shaving, if I couldn't have a vibrating razor?

Last week at Target, whilst browsing for some cold medications I caught sight of the majestic Mach 3 Power Razor. After making sure that there wasn't another razor in the aisle that had already eclipsed the genius of the Mach 3 Power, I picked one up. What choice did I have? It vibrates!

And oh how it vibrates. The folks at Gillette truly have taken it to the next level with this little honey. The three blades trim your whiskers as effortlessly as an opposing quarterback slicing and dicing the Vikings secondary, while the vibrating handle creates the sensation of a gentle massage. Shaving really doesn't get much better.

That is until the good folks at Gillette or Schick come up with the next advancement in razor technology. God bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment