Thursday, January 20, 2005

Subliminal Advertising

The dawning of the age of paid advertising on Fraters Libertas has been little more than a faint glimmer so far. As you may or may not have noticed, a Google Ads banner has been added to the left side of this fine Internet site. Not sure how much revenue it generates, not sure how it figures out how much we deserve, not sure if we deserve any revenue anyway. All I know is that Blog Ads wouldn't even return our calls, so with the competition we went. And Chad the Impaler, I mean the Elder, is in charge of all things administrative, and per usual, information is parceled out on a need to know basis. He tells me I'm lucky he only charges me $50 per month to post here (apparently JB Doubtless is being charged on a per letter basis, which explains his recent blogging frequency), so I've stopped asking prying questions entirely.

If the Google Ads can't enrich me, at least they can entertain me. If you've been paying attention, they've been that and more, so far. Somehow, brilliantly, diabolically, the products advertised are thematically consistent with the content of blog posts. In the first days of the ad banner's appearance, Elvis Presley memorabilia was featured, right after an Elvis Presley blog post. Then, after some Vikings-related prose, ads for Vikings memorabilia were featured (in retrospect, I think it was a good idea we didn't devote any vibrant, flowery descriptions to Randy Moss's pantomime antics). Then, after a couple of posts ripping the hell out of Al Franken, ads for defiantly Leftist web sites and memorabilia began to appear. (It seems the text reading logorithms still have some problems interpreting context.) And now, after the Elder's award winning post on shaving, as I write this, we have a whole slate of ads for Gillette razor blades. It's pure, subliminal genius! Either that or Chad has been bought and paid for by the Big Shaving interests. (Buyer beware when he starts waxing rhapsodically about the joys of Foamy and Aqua Velva.)

I must say it is a little intimidating to know that the cold eye of commerce is now monitoring my every utterance. Everything I write is now being evaluated for its exploitative value. My observations, my hopes, my dreams, my withering social commentary (written in my boxer shorts), my art, nothing more than a tool for filthy capitalists! None of whom are me!

Ah well, that's the world we live in. Better to get sucked in and gum up the works with your vital organs than rage against the machine, I always say. So blog on I will. And just because the use of certain words will no doubt spur a provocative advertising deluge, I will be unafraid to further explore the primary themes you've come to know and love on this site. Specifically:

Swedish bikini models

the collected film works of Ralph Macchio

black topical tattoo ointment

the legends of Tampa Bay Devil Ray baseball

lowfat breaded elk schnitzel

and of course ...

Swedish bikini models
Swedish bikini models
Swedish bikini models
Swedish bikini models

Keep tuning in for these topics and more. We (and our advertisers) thank you.

THE ELDER ADDS: While you're enjoying those topical and trendy Google ads folks, why not click on 'em a couple of times a day? Our advertisers (and our coin purses) thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment