Monday, January 10, 2005

Speak Arrogantly And Carry A Big Stick

Today, the Warrior Monk at Spitbull compares and contrasts a couple of Nick Coleman columns and asks if recycling your own material is really plagiarism. His answer is that it depends. In this case, he concludes that:

This was a minor ethical problem, one that would have been easily avoided by simply disclosing the prior work...

Read the whole thing.

On Saturday, the boys at Power Line revealed that Nick Coleman's bullying tactics have now escalated from childish verbal putdowns to physical intimidation:

Readers may recall that Star Tribune staffer Nick Coleman called our masculinity into question in his below-the-belt column devoted to a vicious personal attack on us. In a related e-mail to reader Seth Simmons, written with the same self-regard and wit as his column, Nick Vicious contrasted his physical stature with Rocket Man's and boasted, 'I am 6-feet-tall, 200 lbs, and like to whack people with a hockey stick.' In the world of Nick Vicious, that's the way a real man talks.

I'm willing to give Coleman the benefit of the doubt here and assume that he's talking about whacking people while on the ice, since I seem to recall that he does fancy himself something of a recreational hockey player. Which means we have something in common (other than the fact that we both think that Craig Westover could be the next Mrs. Paul's). Perhaps we could use this common ground to build a bridge between our deeply divided camps.

Now, I'm only about 5'-9", 170 lbs, and prefer to use my stick for handling the puck rather than whacking, but I'm sure that I could hold my own on the rink against the Goon of Grand Street. So I got to thinking that maybe we should face off on the ice in a friendly little hockey game. Nick could round up some of his friends acquaintances from the local MSM, and I could scrape together a squad made up a local bloggers (I understand that Peg from what if? is stellar between the pipes). Heck, we could even make it a charity fundraiser of some sort, maybe buy some books with the proceeds.

I'm hereby extending that long-regarded totem of peaceful coexistence, the hockey stick, to Mr. Coleman. If the US and USSR were able to play hockey at the height of the Cold War, then so should hack columnists and "mental midgets." Game on?

No comments:

Post a Comment