Monday, January 10, 2005

I'll Never Work In This Town Again

Just over a year ago I wrote about my experience at the American Institute of Architects convention in Minneapolis. In that piece, I speculated (wildly, I might add) that legendary architect Ralph Rapson was following me since I saw him seated a few chairs away at several seminars. That post concluded thusly:

What does he want from me? Has my work as an architect been so mediocre that he's tailing me just to see me demonstrate the kind of behavior that leads to architectural ineptitude? Why me? Why not pester the guy who designed this monstrosity, or this one (oh, wait, that one WAS Ralph). If he shows up at either of tomorrow's lectures on cast stone or precast structures, I'm going to ask him. And then I'm getting a restraining order.

Yeah, I took a friendly little shot at Mr. Rapson. Gentle ribbing from one architect to another, you know? I figured it was harmless. A guy doesn't get to be 90 years old without having a great sense of humor, right? Besides, it's not like Ralph would waste his time reading Fraters Libertas anyway.

Today, this message appeared in my inbox:

Cedar Square West a monstrosity? I guess I am going to have to keep a closer eye on you after all.
RR


Gulp!! What was I thinking? Ralph Rapson is a pioneer in both modern architecture and design. He's one of the most influential architects of his time. He's accomplished more in his career than I could ever dream to equal in fifteen lifetimes...and he'll be keeping "a closer eye" on me?!?! Man, oh, man...I really stepped in it now.

It's one thing to offend a two-bit columnist at a local leftie rag. It's quite another to arouse the ire of a modern day genius. I just hope that Mr. Rapson's sense of humor kicks in before he has me blacklisted from every licensing board from here to Outer Mongolia. Although, I'm sure I could always find work as a furniture designer. I mean, even I can design a more comfortable looking chair than this.

(I'm just joking, Ralph. I love the chair. Seriously...)

No comments:

Post a Comment