Thursday, June 02, 2005

Memorial Day In The Park

Terry e-mails with a story that may help explain why veterans of more recent wars (especially Vietnam) are not as active in public memorial events (such as the one I attended on Memorial Day) as the World War II vets:

I found your post on Memorial Day in St. Louis Park most interesting. Grew up on 31st and Dakota, St. Louis Park High School graduate, class of '65. I agree it is sad to see the dwindling numbers of our aging WW II Vets and an apparent lack of participation by veterans of other conflicts.

The Korean War Vets didn't put up with as much flak as we did upon their return but the treatment of Viet Nam Vets was appalling. My story is not all that unusual as I've heard much the same from others from the surrounding 'burbs over the years.

I was 19 when assigned to the 1st Infantry Division January 1967. I turned 20 in October 67, returned January 1968, missed the Tet Offensive by a few days. Lucky me. It was cold. Everyone else was away at school, in the service, married, working, or somewhere screwing off. I wasn't yet 21 so I couldn't go to a saloon. I thought "what the hell, I'll try the VFW." As I walked to the bar a familiar voice from my youth called out to me, "Fitz", "you're back, let me buy you a drink." A teacher, coach, and mentor welcomed me home. Pretty nice. After some small talk and a sip or two from my 7&7, this individual whom I'd looked up to all my life promptly announced, "it doesn't count ya know." What doesn't count? "The war. Viet Nam, it doesn't count, it's not the big one, WW II " "Well," I said, "they're sending home 200 a week, it counts for me." I set the drink on the bar, walked out, and never set foot in there again.

Unlike most who served in Viet Nam, I spent the year sleeping on the ground and jumping out of helicopters. Of the 3 million that were there, about 8% were in combat. Not that you couldn't get killed almost anywhere over there, but most were not exposed to combat on a daily basis.

When you ponder the reasons why there are fewer and fewer veterans involved on these days, my story and others like me could be a partial explanation. We were reviled or ignored. Most of us just went about our business.

There are no good wars, you're stuck with the one you get.

On Memorial Day or Veterans Day I go to Ft. Snelling and remember my classmates. Steve Graves, John ILstrup Jr., Gary N. Farlow, and others I served with who were not as lucky as I am.

I belong to a local VFW, but I will never forget how we were treated by an ungrateful nation. I resent the treatment more now than I did then. However, that is one reason why we try so hard to support and welcome home our most recent veterans (the media and educational system not withstanding). According to a March 2003 VFW poll, less than 20% of high school graduates even contemplate serving the country in the military. Almost 50 % of them are minorities.

Thank God for our active military who are largely volunteers. But I ask you, who is to follow in their footsteps? Now that's a question that'll keep you up at night, especially if you have small children or grandchildren.

Sincerely,

Terrence M. Fitzgerald
"Charlie Company"
2nd Bn 18th Infantry
1st Infantry Division
Republic of Viet Nam Class of '67
"Our Cause Was Just"


Terry's e-mail brings to mind a quote from George Washington that was read at Monday's Memorial Day Service:

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their nation."

No comments:

Post a Comment