Friday, October 07, 2005

Feedback From The Base

Whatever camp you're in regarding the Miers nomination--for, against, or undecided--there is one fact that no one can deny: it has teed off a good sized chunk of the much ballyhooed conservative base. Supporters of Miers can't quite seem to grasp why this particular action by Bush has set off the firestorm within the conservative core that it has. And, if it was only the Miers nomination that people were upset about, their outrage would appear to be a gross overreaction. The problem is that for many conservatives, the nomination is not the first straw, but rather the last.

And, if even a minority of these folks carry through on the threats they are now making to abandon their President and party, it could have far reaching consequences in 2006 and beyond. Consider this e-mail that I have received from Nathan after this post comparing Miers nomination to getting hamburger after being promised filet mignon:

I like the analogy to building a deck but getting shafted on the reward. It describes part of my disappointment and partly why I'm upset with the Roberts and Miers picks.

But that analogy doesn't go deep enough. I'm not just miffed that I spent a couple of weekends working on a deck, only to get stiffed with burgers instead of steak. I'm angry that I spent 25 years slaving away on it, only to get stiffed with Mystery Meat instead of steak. Twice.

Maybe a deck on a house isn't big enough to convey the depth of my anger. Think of a different "deck," the deck of a ship.

For the last 40 years, the USS Supreme Court has been veering further and further off course, always to portside, away from the safe and prudent course originally laid out by the shipbuilders, and heading toward the rocky shoals of bigger government; taxpayer-funded-abortion-on-demand; extinguishment of religion in public life; special privileges based on race or sex or sexual preference; same-sex marriage; wild social spending; idiotic foreign adventures; and other dangers.

Those of us who wanted a course correction were told that first, we needed to change the crew. We elected a GOP majority in the House. Then we were told we needed to change the officers. We elected a GOP majority in the Senate. We were told we needed to change the captain. We elected a GOP captain.

Now we're told that even though we control the entire ship, we can't change the course of the ship radically, it must be done incrementally, by appointing ever-so-slightly-right-of-center pilots who gradually will nudge the ship back on course. And although you know nothing about them, trust us -- these are the right people to do the nudging.

I don't want to nudge the ship a little, I want to throw the wheel hard to starboard and go to flank speed. Not a complete reversal, maybe, but a major course correction for sure, not some hoped-for nudge.

I've patiently been swabbing the decks of this damned ship since Jimmy Carter was the captain, waiting for the stars to align so we could get the pilots we were promised. This was supposed to be my time. I wanted to see some major payback action. But what did I get? Mystery Man Roberts. And now Mystery Old Maid Miers? And I'm supposed to be satisfied?

I'm furious. I don't give a good G** damn if the Republicans never win another election as long as I live. I'm done with them. No more time. No more money. 2008 will probably pit Hillary against McCain and frankly, I can't tell which one I despise more, a pox on both their houses.

Here's my attitude in a nutshell: I trusted you. You screwed me. Now there's going to be Hell to pay.


Dismiss Nathan if you wish. Tell him to sit down and shut up. Wax on about the "perfect being the enemy of the good" all you want. Try to convince yourself that this is just another brilliant strategic masterstroke by Karl Rove.

But, no matter how you twist it, the fact of the matter is that the choice of Miers has driven him from the Republican fold. And I'm afraid to say that he's far from the only one. Part of the base is goin' boys and they ain't coming back.

Miers may turn out to be a fine justice and Bush and all those who supported her nomination from the start will be vindicated. But at what price?

One of the arguments put forward by supporters of Miers is that her nomination is practical politics. They claim to be looking at the larger political picture and long term alignment of power. They talk of "incremental gains" and "moving the ball forward."

Which sounds all well and good. But who are the foot soldiers who are going to hold the political ground that conservatives have gained so far, to say nothing of expanding it further? Who is going to provide the money, time, and passion required to win the critical races in 2006, 2008, and beyond?

Don't look for Nathan, he's already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment