Tuesday, October 04, 2005

October Skies

Major League Baseball's playoffs begin today (St. Louis is already pounding the Padres 8-0 in the 5th) and I can't wait to catch some of the action tonight. Watching two teams that I don't have a personal stake in play ball in July holds about as much interest for me as watching Atomizer re-grout his bathtub. (Actually watching Atomizer is more interesting because you never know what's going to happen when you mix drinking with home repairs. In fact, that could be a dynamite show for HGTV. Your people, my people-you know the drill.)

But the baseball playoffs are a entirely different ballgame (sorry). The stakes are high, the drama is intense, and the games are usually excellent. Every pitch actually does count and every move by a manager is critical. The only other sport that has playoffs that are as exponentially more entertaining than the regular season is hockey.

Believe it or not, I really don't mind that the Twins are not in the hunt this year. Lately, I've found that I'm able to enjoy the post-season more when my team is not involved. I first noticed this with the Vikings and the NFL playoffs a few seasons ago and expect that it will be the same with baseball this year. Instead of agonizing over my team's post-season failures (see Twins last three years & Vikings forever), I can sit back, relax and enjoy the game itself.

I have no horse in this year's chase for the World Series and I'm just fine with that. As long as the eventual Series winner is anybody but Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment