Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Tapped Out

Bert writes in response to my request for more technical background on how wiretapping works in the present day world of telecommunication:

I've approached telecom from both the microwave perspective and an IT perspective, and your source is both correct and incorrect. Given the prevalence of wireless communication, there is in many cases no "wire" to tap. That doesn't mean, however, that the NSA is listening in as I write to you, or you talk to your mother about whether Christmas should feature lutefisk or turducken. (joke, no insult intended there)

What they're likely doing is looking at the ADDRESS information on the packets and analyzing only those which feature the desired addresses. To monitor my cousin Earl's lutefisk plans and your mom's turducken recipe would require far more computing/personnel than is possessed by the NSA or, for that matter, anyone.

Never mind they'd all quit after monitoring Earl's lutefisk plans.


Based on cell phone conversations that I can't help but overhearing, I'd say that would apply to 99.99999999993% of all wireless communication taking place in the land.

No comments:

Post a Comment