Wednesday, December 21, 2005

When It Comes To Getting Incinerated, I'm Strictly Non-Partisan

In regard to the on-going wiretap debate, I've heard a few opponents of Bush's NSA policy try to put conservatives in a box by asking what they think is a clever hypothetical question:

Well, what would you have said if Bill Clinton had been doing the same thing to _____ (fill in the blank with anti-abortion, gun rights, etc.) groups during his administration?

The comparison is both invalid and unnecessary, since it's possible to construct a much better and more relevant hypothetical:

What would you have said if Bill Clinton had issued orders for warrant-less wiretaps of communications between Al Qaeda operatives overseas and domestic phone lines during his administration?

My answer is that I would have said, "You go Bill." I wish to hell that Bill Clinton had been more serious about fighting Al Qaeda during his administration and would gladly have supported his efforts to prevent attacks if there had been any such meaningful efforts to speak of.

And if, per chance, Hillary moves into the White House in 2009, my response to the same question with her as CIC would be the same. You go Hil. Frankly, I hope I never have to say those words. But if I do, they will be uttered in the conviction that the duty and ability of the President of the United States to protect and defend the country should transcend politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment