Friday, June 30, 2006

I Should Have Known Better With A Vet Like You

Thursday night trivia at Keegan's is back to normal. The Fraters crew is riding a winning streak, the smoking patio is open for business, out-of-staters are making long overdue pilgrimages and even the Guinness seems to be tasting better than ever.

Last night's festivities, as always, began with some lively pre-game banter. Eventually, the discussion turned to the recent Supreme Court decision to clog up the U.S. court system with the pleas of hate-consumed jihadist cowards who would just as soon wish to see this country engulfed in flames as they would lend momentary credence to our judicial system in order to save their pathetic souls from retribution.

When one of the group said he felt that the Court did the U.S. Military a huge favor with this ruling, I was thoroughly flummoxed. This man happens to be a proud former Marine...one who bravely served in the last war that the left in this country openly hoped we'd lose. I expected rage and resentment. I expected bitterness and bile. What I got was what seemed to be unequivocal support for the Court's latest misstep.

I turned to him and asked why on Earth he would believe such a thing. He looked at me, smiled and said two simple words: No prisoners.

I will never question the motives of a Marine again.

No comments:

Post a Comment