Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Liberals Say The Darndest Things

For those of us not paying attention, tyranny has descended upon the United States and the voices of truth are soon to be squelched. Fun, well-grounded City Pages blogger Elaine Cassel updates us on the state of the Union, as she sees it:

So, what I predicted, and worse, is upon us, and I am not hearing much outrage about any of it. A yawn, a “what’s new,” a “does that surprise you, Cassel?” is about all I am getting when I rant and rave. No, it does not surprise me, it terrifies me. Four more years of Bush and I doubt that I will be writing or you will be reading these warnings. We will have been silenced. I wish I were exaggerating, but this past year has taught me that, if anything, my warnings have been too tame.

It’s fun to pretend. Even more fun to imagine you’re an unappreciated voice of insight and truth, at the center of a great drama, in opposition to a diabolical conspiracy. Hell, it sure beats being a blogger for an alternative weekly newspaper.

Oh sure, she may be silenced if Bush is re-elected (we’ll be strictly monitoring her blog on election night, maybe get a countdown clock started). Or she may be silenced if there’s a responsible person in an editorial function at the City Pages who actually reads her work. Given the paper’s typical standards, I think Geo. Bush arriving at her apartment and personally unplugging her PC, taking the mouse out of her grasping fingers, and slapping the cuffs on is a more plausible scenario.

Back to Elaine:

We have seen a despot, and he is occupying the White House. We have seen tyranny, and it is the Bush Administration. And yes, I am certain that, if there has been any doubt heretofore, now I am sure that I can be labeled a “terrorist” for saying it. And you, likely, are a terrorist for reading it.

Sorry about that folks, but you’ve just been snared in a terrorist sting operation. Ever since I signed up at the MN State Fair to be a GOP Team Leader, I’ve felt a personal responsibility to help defend the Homeland. And, well, you got swept up in it. Nothing personal, but please report to the nearest re-education camp immediately. Just follow the sounds of Elaine Cassel’s screaming. Or is it her silence? It’s hard to tell the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment