Wednesday, March 17, 2004

Honored Beyond the Ability to Express Myself

Next time you’re scrolling through Joe Bob’s Canonical “Hooter” List and happen upon the listing for “Paducahs” please think of me. Because I’m honored to announce my submission of this term has been accepted by the great man himself as worthy of inclusion in this triumph of linguistics

After reviewing this list a few months back, I noticed one and only one glairing omission: paducahs. The popularity of this euphemism peaked around the time of the Televangelist sex scandals in the mid-80’s. I can’t remember exactly which televangelist and which prostitute got caught in which assignation in Paducah, KY. But it happened, and I remember laughing to former KSTP radio great Bob Yates doing his weeping Swaggart “I have sinned against you” voice, while saying “show me your paducahs.”

Just today Joe Bob emailed me back with the good news of the inclusion of “paducahs” on the list. And he provides a correction, since I attributed the Paducah indiscretion to Jimmy Swaggart:

Thanks for that excellent addition to the list, I'll add it immediately, but if memory serves, Jimmy Swaggart sinned in New Orleans.

He’s right. Google research shows Jimmy Swaggart had an illicit encounter with New Orleans prostitute Debra Murphree in Lake Charles, LA in 1987. A few years later, other allegations surfaced, but from California and Louisiana again. At this point I’m not sure who did what to whom in Paducah. But something happened there, I’m quite sure of it. After all, it’s on Joe Bob’s Canonical “Hooter” List.

No comments:

Post a Comment