Tuesday, May 18, 2004

Here At The Dude Ranch Above The Sea

I make a stupid face every time I purchase something. I have no idea why, but I noticed the other day that I do this during every single transaction, be it at the dry cleaners, the gas station or my local oft-visited smoke and buze shop.

The face I'm talking about is after the cashier has finished the transaction and they thank me. I, being a Minnesotan, usually thank them too for no other reason than it is easy to say and wraps things up. But, I noticed yesterday that I also make a face. It's not really a smile, or even a grin, but kind of a lame, half-hearted upward movement of my lips accompanied by a blase fling of the eyebrows. I imagine I must come across as a real prick when I do this.

I noticed this face yesterday when I went to the dry cleaners where all the hot 20-year-old girls work. I tend to pay a little more attention to my transactional behavior around said lovelies (as opposed to say the weird dude at the parking ramp who always makes gratuitous eye contact when giving change) and happened to catch myself in a mirror behind the counter as one of them handed me my receipt. Good lord.

The face says "I don't really know what kind of face to make, or if I should smile or what, and I don't get out of the house much so here--take this one. It's all I can pull together on short notice."

I wonder what kind of face Steve McQueen made when he picked up his dry cleaning?

No comments:

Post a Comment