Monday, May 10, 2004

We Know What's Good For You (even if you don't)

The Minneapolis city council, worried that their brethren across the river in St. Paul might eclipse them in intrusive government action for the "public good", is now considering a smoking ban in bars and restaurants as well. Captain Ed will be glad to know that he has a new ally in his support for the ban. Yes, the Star Tribune editorial board has linked hands with Captain Ed on this noble crusade to limit people's freedoms "for their own good":

The Twin Cities should take the leap, no matter what happens at the Capitol. Everyone would be better off for it, whether they realize it now or not.

Whew. This is going to make things much easier for me. Rather than having to weigh the risks of second hand smoke myself when deciding if I want to go to a bar or restaurant that permits smoking, I now have the good folks at the Strib looking out for my well-being and making that decision for me. Life will be so much smoother and safer without all those pesky choices and freedoms getting in the way. Thanks Star Tribune. Now if you can just do something about all that loud music...

No comments:

Post a Comment