Tuesday, May 04, 2004

The Rall That Broke The Camel's Back

R.T. explains why he ended up dropping the Star Tribune last fall:

I, too have ended my relationship with the Star Tribune. I wrote this letter to them back in November:

Dear Star Tribune,

I regret to inform you that I will no longer be purchasing or reading the Star Tribune. Being a loyal reader for the past thirty years or so, I do not take this decision lightly, for I will be depriving myself of much valuable information and entertainment. However, your continued insistence on running cartoons by Ted Rall leaves me no recourse. With respect for your first amendment rights, it is the only thing I can do.

Ted Rall is a shameful American. Get past the bad art, and you'll find messages so disgustingly hateful, it is amazing that a major newspaper sees fit to publish them. Take a close look at Sunday, November 16th's submission: The
president of our country is portrayed as nothing less than a demonic Nazi dictator, "stealing" another election as Washington burns. But that's pretty mild when you compare it to his essays. His latest work, "Why We Fight" is a particularly disturbing piece that glorifies the killing of American soldiers in Iraq. Whatever your political leanings, any reasonable person should find this appalling. Yet your editorial staff continues to run his cartoons, which tells
me as much about the Star Tribune as it does Rall.

I'll miss Reusse, Grow, CJ, and even Syl Jones. However, I have principles to uphold; I suggest you examine yours.

Sincerely,

R. T.

The current Rall flap (flop?) reminded me to send this to you to let you know you're not alone in your loathing for that fishwrap. I wonder if the editors over chomping at the bit to run that cartoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment